- Special Message from the Camp Director: Kim Whitaker
- We look forward to welcoming you at Camp Nova! Our camp is uniquely designed so that campers can explore a specialty core each session (or stick with their favorite) to build skills and pursue interests. All campers take swimming lessons in NSU's Olympic size pool. We also pack the days with different group and camp-wide activities, Friday showcases and more. Once a week (except during post-camp when there's a field trip every day!) our campers enjoy exciting off-campus excursions, or participate in special in-house activities. Camp Nova provides a great place for campers to enjoy a safe and diverse summer of fun!
Camp Nova takes pride in the warm and inclusive atmosphere fostered by our staff and perpetuated by our campers. Most counselors are certified teachers who have numerous years of experience working with children. Our camp size ratio is approximately ten campers to one counselor, ensuring a safe and secure atmosphere where counselors know their campers.
If you have been searching for an interesting, stimulating, safe, caring and productive summer program -- complete with lots of summer fun -- Camp Nova is the answer. Camp is open to both public and private school students in grades K-11.
Camp Nova Cores
Cores allow campers to tailor their summer camp experience by choosing to spend additional time in their favorite activity during the camp day. Campers can select one core per session from the following:
- Grades 2-8
Learn how to use a bow and arrow like a pro. This beginner class will introduce children to the fun- filled world of archery. Campers will gradually improve their skills as the focus will be on accuracy and strength building. Camp Nova will provide a fun and safe way to learn the basics of archery.
- Arts and Crafts
- Grades 2-8
This core activity is a favorite for campers who wish to learn new creative techniques. Each session will give campers the opportunity to explore and experiment with various art media, such as clay, painting, and assorted craft materials. Campers will create their own original works of art that they will bring home at the end of the session.
- For any level player, boys or girls, this new core will certainly be a favorite. Not only will you get to enjoy playing your favorite sport, you will get some exercise in as well. Campers will play all different games associated with basketball and will also learn about the game and work on their skills daily.
- This core is designed specifically to promote self-esteem, pride, commitment, and discipline among young women. With an experienced Cheerleading instructor, campers will learn basic cheerleading techniques, organized routines, stunts, and much more. At the end of the 2 week session, these young campers will put on a performance for all of Camp Nova to show off their newly acquired cheerleading skills!
- Grades 2-8
This activity instructs campers in a variety of dance forms, from classical ballet to contemporary jazz and hip-hop. Training by an experienced professional teacher allows campers to learn various dance techniques and have lots of fun. Demonstration performances will be held on the last Friday of Sessions 2 and 4. No previous training is required.
* In order to learn a full dance routine and participate in the summer showcase, campers must register for at least two consecutive sessions.
- Martial Arts
- Our goal for the Martial Arts core is to provide excellent training for the children in a safe environment utilizing appropriate Martial Arts activities to meet individual needs. Javier Gil, from American T.K.A., is a certified Martial Arts trainer. With his expertise, Camp Nova will help participants with fitness and coordination, self-discipline, team work, high morality and gain confidence and respect for themselves and others.
- Robotics and Animation
- Grades 2-8
Instructed by professionals from Bricks 4 Kidz, the Robotics and Animation core will provide an extraordinary atmosphere for students to build unique creations, develop science and engineering skills, and more using LEGO® bricks. This class will combine two popular programs – stop-motion animation and robotics. Learn how to create stop –motion animation videos like the pros! Build your own sets and backdrops, create storyboards, take pictures, and add special effects and more! In Robotics campers will create unique projects featuring the LEGO® Lab curriculum. Kids will get creative and customize their creations. Each week also includes a custom LEGO® creation using bricks and origami to take home!
- Grades 2-8
This exciting new core shows campers the method for preserving personal and family history in the form of a scrapbook. Typical memorabilia items include photographs, printed media, and artwork. Campers will make individualized scrapbook albums and be able to decorate them using their own inspiration.
- Video Game Design
- This fun and educational core will introduce students to the "ins and outs" of creating video games on the computer. This experience will spark an early interest in game and program creation within the campers. It will teach campers to utilize and expand their critical thinking abilities as well as their skills with reasoning and problem-solving by learning basic programming skills to create their own video games.
- Cake Decorating
- Color Wars
- Computer Games
- Digital Photography
- Fun Friday Events
- Game Room
- Halloween in July
- In-House Entertainment
- Outside/Indoor Sports
- Recreational Games
- Scavenger Hunts
- Swimming Lessons
- Video Production
Camp Nova reserves the right to cancel any core that does not meet minimum enrollment requirements.