Our interscholastic athletic programs have made an immense impact on school pride, enthusiasm, and spirit amongst our students, families, staff, and affiliates. We have established a variety of FHSAA sanctioned interscholastic sport programs as well as non-sanctioned sport clubs and have collectively provided the student body ample opportunities to participate in a number of seasonal extracurricular athletic activities. Additionally, we are fortunate to be partners with Nova Southeastern University, and continue to build our relationship with our campus neighbor, the Miami Dolphins. Our objective is to cultivate a family-oriented environment conducive to communication and involvement for all interested parties.
The NSU University School Athletics Department strongly encourages character building, teamwork, sportsmanship, discipline, commitment and sacrifice as well as an emphasis on helping students obtain a balance of academics, performing and fine arts, and athletics. Ultimately, we strive to create an athletic program that parallels our long standing college preparatory tradition of academic excellence.
NSU University School is fortunate to possess a group of qualified coaches, who take great pride in being mentors and educators first. This allows us to equip our student-athletes with the necessary support that helps inspire and promote collegiate and career aspirations. Our coaches leave a positive impression, lead by constructive morals and values, and ultimately help produce productive citizens of society.
Our Athletic Department strives to create an environment conducive to academic, athletic and social development for our student-athletes. We are committed to providing a comprehensive, safe and effective interscholastic athletic program based upon the needs of our student-athletes. Our Athletics parallels the mission of NSU University School, which states, “…students are prepared for productive lives and leadership roles through a program that focuses on academic excellence, extracurricular participation and service to others.” We provide leadership, resources and guidance to ensure that all student-athletes are afforded the finest experience. We aspire to cultivate a tradition of family institutional excellence throughout our school, which supports our student-athletes’ future preparation toward the collegiate level. The ultimate goal is to equip our student-athletes with the necessary life skills that champion productive citizens.
Our Athletic Department is committed to the philosophies underwritten by NSU University School and the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA); which simply identifies those participants in interscholastic athletic programs as students first and athletes second—hence the term “student-athlete.” Interscholastic athletics is an extracurricular activity, with practice and organized competition as a supplementary privilege to our classroom expectations. Our sport programs are open to all students, provided they comply with good academic standing, demonstrate first-class school citizenship and represent appropriate sportsmanship. Our Athletics is fortunate to possess quality coaches comprised of educators, mentors and professional role models. Our coaches teach and demonstrate the values associated with positive, fundamental intangibles—discipline, sportsmanship, integrity, teamwork, commitment, accountability and leadership.
- Our Cheerleading program is comprised of Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Middle School squads. Throughout the season, student-athletes learn various performance techniques, jumps, stunt and dance routines, cheers and motions, and chants.
- Cross Country
- Cross Country running at NSU University School is a co-ed, Varsity and Middle School team sport. There is a place for all levels of athletes on our team. We emphasize personal improvement and help students achieve their running goals. In addition to traditional training methods, we use marker searches, beach workouts, and saunas in our repertoire.
- Our Soccer program is comprised of boys and girls teams at the Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Middle School levels. Students will develop basic skills such as dribbling, passing, shooting, receiving, and throw-ins, and ultimately learn the value and importance of teamwork.
- The Football season holds great promise for our Varsity, Middle School, and 6th Grade teams. These programs emphasize skill development, understanding of the game, and teamwork in a fun, competitive environment. Varsity players are encouraged to mentor the younger boys about various formations and styles of play as well as other principles of the sport.
- Our Basketball program is comprised of a boys team at Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Middle School levels and a girls team at the Varsity and Middle School levels. Students work on developing basic skills such as dribbling, passing, and finishing, all coached in a fun and supportive environment. In addition, the coaching staff emphasizes the value of hard work, the true meaning of teamwork, and the importance of giving unrelenting, high levels of effort.
- Baseball at NSU University School is a Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Middle School team sport. Coaches help our student-athletes improve their ability to play the game by teaching fundamentals such as hitting, catching, throwing, and base running to foster a true appreciation of the sport.
- Rowing at NSU University School is a co-ed, Varsity team sport. In a quest for the optimum combination of force, endurance, and perfect co-ordination, students learn the concept of balance, then focus on the co-ordination of their legs, body, and arms for drive and recovery. It is critical that student-athletes learn to do this in time with other rowers. Once the aforementioned skills are mastered, student-athletes work on acquiring the techniques involved in handling the oar or sculls.
- Students that participate in the co-ed, Varsity and/or Middle School Swimming & Diving teams learn the five competitive swimming strokes: freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, and individual medley. In addition, student-athletes learn how to compete individually as well as how to work with others on a team.
- Diving at NSU University School is a co-ed, Varsity sport in which student-athletes focus on building strength, flexibility, kinesthetic judgment, and air awareness. Divers continuously work to improve their body alignment, diving stretch for the water, and entry into the water.
- Softball at NSU University School is a Varsity team sport. Coaches help our student-athletes improve their ability to play the game by teaching the fundamentals such as hitting, catching, throwing, and base running on a fun, supportive playing field.
- Golf at NSU University School is a Varsity and Junior Varsity team sport. Student-athletes with an interest in this sport will work on developing their hand-eye coordination, putting and swing style, and trajectory.
- Our Volleyball program is comprised of a boys team at Varsity level and a girls team at the Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Middle School levels. Students learn about various play techniques including spiking and blocking (since these plays are made above the net, the vertical jump is an athletic skill emphasized in the sport) as well as passing, setting, specialized player positions, and offensive and defensive structures. Emphasis will also be placed on the student-athletes’ agility and their ability to work within a team.
- Our Lacrosse program is comprised of a boys team at Varsity and Middle School levels and a girls team at the Varsity level. Student-athletes will learn the fundamentals of the sport including how to hold a stick as well as the proper techniques for catching, cradling, and throwing the ball.
- Tennis at NSU University School is a co-ed, Varsity and Middle School sport in which student-athletes begin learning basic skills such serving and serve return, forehand, backhand, volley grips, and court positions. Additional skills our tennis players are taught include sprints, back peddling, overhead, and approach shots.
- Track and Field
- Track and Field at NSU University School is a co-ed, Varsity and Middle School team sport in which student-athletes participate in track events comprised of runs and walks, and field events, which include jumps and throws. Events typically include dashes, hurdling, relays, distance runs, high jump, long jump, shot put, and more!