Speech and Debate
- Our Facebook page is where you will find student accolades as well as snapshots of the exciting activities and events that occur on a daily basis. Click here to Like our Facebook page and receive updates as they occur.
- To purchase Speech and Debate sweatshirts click here.
- About the Team
- The NSU University School Speech & Debate Team has a long tradition of forensics excellence. Each year, members of the team are ranked on the state and national level. At the end of the 2014-2015 season, NSU University School was ranked 3rd in the national in overall team performance on the DebateRankings website. And at the NSDA National Championships, the school was named one of the ten Schools of Outstanding Distinction.
- Robert Sheard
- Robert Sheard is the Director of Forensics at NSU University School. For the past five years while at Durham Academy, his students have been either first or second at NSDA Nationals, CFL Nationals, Harvard, Yale, The Glenbrooks, George Mason, Blue Key, Laird Lewis, The Sunvitational, Crestian, Wake Forest, and numerous round robins. In addition, they have won ten state titles and he has had more than 40 students compete at NSDA Nationals.
Sheard is a member of the Public Forum wording committee, and serves on the TOC advisory committees for Extemporaneous Speaking, Congressional Debate, and Speech. He has been honored with the TOC Extemp Coaching Excellence Award, is a George Mason University "Mason Mentor," and a member of the University of Florida's "Gator Guard." He is a founding partner and Extemp Curriculum Coordinator for the Institute for Speech and Debate and is a regular webinar leader and presenter at Coaches Clinics for the NSDA. Contact: email@example.com
- Bill Thompson
- Bill Thompson is the Director of Middle School Forensics at NSU University School. Before joining our team, he has coached for more than 20 years with a variety of high school programs. He coached the 2015 NSDA National Champion in International Extemporaneous Speaking, and has coached the winners of many national tournaments including NIETOC, UK TOC, Yale, Glenbrooks, and the Emory Barkley Forum. Additionally, Mr. Thompson has coached top 3 finishers at The Montgomery Bell Round Robin for Extemp, Wake Forest, & NCFL. During his 6 years at his last school, students he coached won 12 individual state championships.
He is the recipient of the TOC Extemp Outstanding Service Award in 2015. Mr. Thompson runs Extemp prep for the UK TOC and the Middle School NSDA tournaments. He loves all events, but extemporaneous speaking is his passion. This summer he will serve as a lead instructor in that event at several national forensics camps. Thompson has also served as a trainer for NSDA as a part of their ongoing webinar education series. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parent Resources
- Judge Training
The National Speech and Debate Association has published a variety of helpful resources to help judges learn the process of judging at forensics tournaments. These resources include introductions to each event, guidelines for judging each event, sample ballots, and video training for each event.
Whether you're a new judge helping us for the first time, an experienced judge learning a new event, or someone who just wants a refresher course, please visit this page on the NSDA website for more information.
Tournament Registration Payments
This year, students must pay the registration fee for each tournament by the school's deadline in order for a student to attend the tournament. All of the payments must go through the NSU MarketPlace site. Once a student has paid the tournament fee, he or she should see Mr. Sheard to let him know what event(s) to register the student in.
- Prior to any local or out-of-state field trips, all parents must fill out the online field trip permission slip associated with that event. Click here to access those permissions slips now. Each student must submit medical/annual forms to attend NSU University School field trips.